The Open Enrollment Period for Medicare Advantage and Medicare prescription drug coverage is around the corner: October 15 through December 7.
This period is the time of year when people who have Medicare can make changes to their coverage plans. During this open enrollment period, people may purchase, switch, or drop Medicare Advantage plans and Part D prescription drug plans. Any changes completed between October 15 and December 7 become effective January 1, 2020.
Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare Part D prescription drug plans can change year to year, so it is important for people with Medicare to review their plans. Plans may add, change or eliminate benefits, change the prescription drugs that are covered, update provider networks, and change deductibles or copays.
If you have Medicare, it is recommended that you review the material your current plan sends you to make sure your plan will meet your needs for the upcoming year. If you don’t think your current plan will continue to meet your needs next year and you want to compare your options, visit Medicare.gov.
If you would like assistance comparing your options, the Allegheny County APPRISE program can help. APPRISE is a free health insurance counseling program designed to help people understand their Medicare and other health insurance benefits and can assist you in making informed decisions about your health care options. During this open enrollment period, trained APPRISE counselors can help you review the options available to you.
You can make an appointment to meet with an APPRISE counselor at the program office or at one of the community enrollment events scheduled throughout the county.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, call the Allegheny County APPRISE program at (412) 661-1438 or email APPRISE@wfspa.org.
Medicare Open Enrollment events around Allegheny County*:
• Tuesday, October 15 – Crafton Public Library, Crafton
• Thursday, October 17 – St. Juan Diego Parish, Sharpsburg (noon – 4:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, October 22 – Oakmont Carnegie Library, Oakmont
• Thursday, October 24 – Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, East Liberty branch, East Liberty (12:30 – 5:30 p.m.)
• Tuesday, October 29 – Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh, Squirrel Hill
• Saturday, November 2 – Representative Dan Deasy’s office, Greentree
• Tuesday, November 5 – Allegheny Valley Hospital, Natrona Heights
• Tuesday, November 12 – North Hills Community Outreach, Avalon
• Thursday, November 14 – St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Mt. Lebanon
• Tuesday, December 3 – Greentree Public Library, Greentree
*Unless otherwise noted, all events are 1 to 5 p.m. and by appointment only.