IRS rules and regulations change and are often difficult for the average filer to understand. The AARP Tax-Aide Program, beginning February 1 throughout April 15, is where you will find one of your neighbors at the local library, mall or possibly legislator’s office waiting to assist you with your questions and helping you complete and e-file your tax return. These volunteers have completed rigorous IRS-based training to ensure that they have the ability to support your return needs. Tax-Aide offers a free service for low- to moderate-income families. Although AARP is known for its dedication to seniors, other low- to moderate-income public filers are welcome, as well.
Another great free program is the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, which also assist with tax preparation with no string attached. Neither program is geared or sanctioned by the IRS to prepare business and rental property ownership related returns. These should be completed by a paid preparer, as should returns of higher-income recipients.
To prepare for your meeting with a Tax-Aide representative, collect and double-check all of your pertinent data. This includes all of your W-2 forms, 1099s (if you receive a pension or annuity), Social Security, SSA-1099, any unemployment compensation statement, any form indicating Federal taxes already remitted, healthcare premiums and child care provider information (name, employer ID, SS number), receipts or canceled checks if you are itemizing deductions, and finally, Social Security numbers for all dependents.
Most importantly, bring along last year’s filed tax return. Some returns may take more time to complete—for example, if you lost a spouse in the prior year (this requires a copy of a death certificate for each return). In addition to your 2016 Federal return, your AARP volunteer will also prepare your 2016 Pennsylvania State Tax Return and any PA-1000 Rent and Property Tax Rebate form at this same tax preparing meeting.
Now that you know what to bring to your meeting, it’s time to pin down your handiest location. To find the AARP Tax-Aide site nearest you, visit aarp.org/taxaide, or call (888) AARP-NOW or (888) 227-7669. Don’t forget to thank your tax preparer for all of their great volunteering. AARP’s Tax-Aide has always been “People helping people!”
2017 Allegheny North Tax-Aide sites
• Avalon Borough Building, 640 California Ave., Avalon, PA 15202. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, appointment only. Call Lorraine at (412) 761-5820.
• Carnegie Boro Building, One Veterans Way, Carnegie, PA 15106. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays, appointment only. Call (412) 276-1414, ext. 1420.
• Crafton Library, 140 Bradford Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15205. Hours are from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, appointment only. Call (412) 922-6877.
• Carnegie Science Center, 300 Lincoln Ave., Carnegie, PA 15106. Hours are from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Thursdays, apppointment only. Call (412) 276-5056.
• Cooper-Siegel Library, 403 Fox Chapel Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15238. Hours are from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, appointment only. Call Ann at (412) 828-9520.
• Northland Library, 300 Cumberland Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15237. Hours are from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday through Thursday, walk-in service available. Call (412) 366-8100, ext. 102.
• Shaler Undercliff VFD, 700 Mt. Royal Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15223. Hours are from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Wednesday, walk-in service available. Call Sharon at (412) 486-0211.
• State Representative Dan Deasy Office, 436 S. Main St., Pittsburgh, PA 15220. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, appointment only. Call Julie at (412) 928-9514.
• State Representative Hal English, 4290 William Flynn Highway, Allison Park, PA 15101. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Call (412) 487-6605.
• State Representative Mike Turzai, 125 Hillvue Lane, McCandless, PA 15237. Hours are from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday, appointment only. Call Sara at (412) 369-2230.
• State Representative Randy Vulakovich, Shaler Municipal Building, 300 Wetzie Rd., Glenshaw, PA 15116. Hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, appointment only. Call (412) 487-6600.
2017 Allegheny-South District Tax-Aide sites
• Baldwin Community UM Church, 5001 Baptist Rd., Whitehall, 15236
• Baldwin Library, 41 Macek Dr., Baldwin, 15227
• Bethel Park Library, 5100 W Library Ave., Bethel Park, 15102
• Carnegie Library of Squirrel Hill, 5801 Forbes Ave, Oakland, Pittsburgh, 15217
• Clover Commons, 600 Cloverview Circle, Plum Boro, 15239
• Edgewood Library (C.C. Mellor) One Penwood Ave., Pittsburgh, 15218
• Lebanon Presbyterian Church, 2800 Old Elizabeth Rd., West Mifflin, 15122
• Monroeville Senior Center, 6000 Gateway Campus Blvd., Monroeville, 15146
• Mt Vernon Community UP Church, 2200 Buena Vista Rd., McKeesport, 15135
• OPDC/JOBLINKS, 294 Semple St (Oakland), Pittsburgh, 15213
• Pleasant Hills Library, 302 Old Clairton Rd., Pleasant Hills, 15236
• Plum Senior Center, 499 Center-New Texas Rd., Plum Boro, 15239
• Representative Bill Kortz, 751 Pittsburgh-McKeesport Blvd., West Mifflin, 15122
• Rostraver Library, 700 Plaza Dr., Belle Vernon, 15012
• South Hills Senior Services, 575 Coal Valley Rd (Hospital Rm 2A), Jefferson Hills, 15025
• Thompson Run Athletic Assosication, 4901 Ball Ave., West Mifflin, 15122
• Whitehall Library, 100 Borough Dr., Whitehall, 15236
By Barbara Bush
For Pittsburgh Senior News