• Volunteer part-time office support is needed at Butler County Catholic Charities Outreach. Primary function is to provide administrative support to the daily operations of Catholic Charities programs, including reception of clients and phone calls, general clerical, sending out thanks you letters and taking care of donations. Volunteers are also needed in Lawrence, Beaver and Washington Counties. Contact Bonnie at (412) 456-6696 or email email@example.com.
• Old Stone House, 2865 William Flynn Hwy., Slippery Rock, will offer an Open Hearth Cooking Class from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 6. Come, prepare, and enjoy ice creams of the past as historic recipes are used to create these American treats. Cost is $15. Call (724) 738-4964 or visit oldstonehousepa.org/foodways.
• The Pittsburgh Doo Wop Big Band concert, a tribute to the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s will take place at 6:30 p.m. May 20 at the Butler Intermediate High School Auditorium, 551 Fairground Hill Rd., Butler. Cost is $20 per person. There will also be gift baskets and a 50/50 raffle. Call (412) 519-4321 or visit penntheaterbutler.com.
• A free bus trip is planned for WWII and Korean War Veterans to visit their Memorials in Washington, DC. May 18. This one day trip departs early and returns between 9 and 10 p.m. Departure points are Beaver, North Hills, Greentree and Monroeville. Box lunch and dinners are provided as well as snacks and drinks. There is a registered nurse on each bus. Wheelchairs provided upon request. For more information or to make a reservation, call (724) 709-3614. All donations are gratefully accepted so the trip can be free to the veterans. Make checks payable to WWII Memorial Bus Trip and mail to Wesbanco Bank, 701 Corporation St., Beaver, Pa. 15009, Attn: Heather N. Seating is reserved for veterans only.
• The Spring Garden Market and Home Show will take place rain or shine from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 20 at Alameda Park, Odd Fellow Circle, 184 Alameda Park Rd., Butler. There will be over 80 vendors including craft, merchandisers and food. Enjoy live entertainment from 10 to 11:30 a.m. and again from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Parking and admission is free. Call (724) 284-5383 or visit co.butler.pa.us/Parks_Special_Events.
• The Portersville Steam Show Spring Gas-up will take place May 20 and 21 at the Portersville Steam Show Grounds, 1512 Perry Hwy., Portersville. Gates open at 9 a.m. both days. Enjoy a large variety of activities for the whole family including a vintage village, saw mill, cider press, gas engines, oil field equipment, farm animals, train rides, steam engines, flea market, crafts, food, kids’ pedal tractor pulling, tractor pulls and a steam building. Cost is $5 for adults, free for children 11 and under. Call (724) 285-7038 or visit portersvillesteamshow.org.
• Harmony Museum’s annual “Quilt in a Day” program will take place from 10 a.m. to noon May 30 at Stewart Hall, 218 Mercer St., Harmony. Reservations are suggested. Call (724) 452-7341 or visit harmonymuseum.org.
• The North Hills Historic Auto Club will be sponsoring its 45th annual Antique and Classic Car Show from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 4 at the Mars Area High School, Rt. 228, Mars. Admission is $1 per person. Children under 12 are free. The event includes a flea market, car corral and refreshments. Call (412) 443-0359 for details.
Senior Center events
Please note: All centers are closed May 19 for an all county Older American’s Month celebration and May 29 for Memorial Day.
• Butler Senior Center, 10 Austin Ave., (located in Tanglewood Senior Center), Lyndora, offers the following events: 500 card party at noon May 3, cost is $2.50; Seniors for Safe Driving from noon to 4 p.m. May 9 and 10. Call (800) 559-4880 to register; leadership meeting at 11:30 a.m. and birthday party May 11; Mother’s Day tea at 11:30 a.m. May 15; Mind Matter series at 10 a.m. May 17; bring a shirt to tie dye at noon May 18; 500 bid card party from 5:30 to 9 p.m. May 23, cost is $5; and blood pressure from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. May 25. Call (724) 285-5392.
• Chicora Senior Center, lower level of Moose Hall, 117 West Slippery Rock St., offers the following events: Cinco De Mayo celebration May 4; stroke support group at 10 a.m. May 9; Mind Matters series at 10:30 a.m. May 10; bingo at 10 a.m. and birthday party celebration May 11; leadership meeting at 10 a.m., closed caption phone presentation at 11 a.m., and Mother’s Day celebration May 16; bingo at 10 a.m. May 18 and 25; and Memorial Day indoor picnic May 30. The AAoA will sponsor a picnic May 30, call for details. The center is open from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Call (724) 445-2551.
• Cranberry Senior Center, Municipal Building, Rochester Rd., offers the following events: make a Kentucky Derby hat at 12:30 p.m. May 2; Kentucky Derby party May 3; senior expo from 9 a.m. to noon and senior conversational group from 10 a.m. May 4; Cinco De Mayo party May 5; Mind Matters series at 10:30 a.m. May 10; program with New York Life at 11 a.m. and birthday/Mother’s Day celebrations May 11; center closed for Election Day May 16, there will be a bus trip to Meadows Casino; information on exercise program at 9:30 a.m. May 22; game night from 4 to 7 p.m. May 23, cost is $5; and leadership council meeting at 10:30 a.m. and Memorial Day party May 25. The center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (724) 772-6086.
• Evans City Senior Center, 426 East Main St., offers the following events: trip to Science Center and Aviary at 10 a.m. May 2, cost is $25; coffee and doughnut chat from 10 to 11 a.m. May 9; drum circle at 1 p.m. May 10; leadership meeting at 1 p.m. and birthday celebration May 11; exercise for arthritis at 12:30 p.m. May 17; Mind Matters series at 1 p.m. May 24; and Memorial day picnic May 25. The AAoA will sponsor a picnic May 31, call for details. The center is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Call (724) 538-9414.
• Mars Senior Center, Penn Mar Plaza, Gilkey Dr., offers the following activities: root beer floats at 12:30 p.m. May 4, cost is $1; Older Americans Month facts and history at 12:30 p.m. May 9; stroke awareness program at 1 p.m. and birthday party May 11; Mother’s Day party at 12:30 p.m. May 12; nails with Butler Vo-tech at 10:45 a.m. May 16; treats at 12:30 p.m. May 23; Memorial Day party at noon and leadership meeting at 1 p.m. May 25; Mind Matters series at 12:30 p.m. May 30; and cake and beverage at 12:30 p.m. May 31. The AAoA will sponsor a picnic May 31, call for details. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (724) 625-4466.
• Mount Chestnut Senior Center, Presbyterian Church, 727 Old Route 422, will offer the following events: leadership meeting at 12:45 p.m. May 1; exercise program at 12:30 p.m. May 8; birthday celebration May 11; Touch Art at 10:30 a.m. May 15, cost is $15 and registration is required by May 8; and book club at 10 a.m. and Mind Matters series at 12:30 p.m. May 22. The center is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Call (724) 282-6006.
• Slippery Rock Senior Center, Township Building, 155 Branchton Rd., will offer the following events: Kentucky Derby party at 10:30 a.m. May 4; Mother’s Day party at 10:30 a.m. and birthday party at 12:30 p.m. May 11; exercise program at 12:30 p.m. May 17; leadership meeting at 12:30 p.m. May 18; Mind Matters series 10 a.m. and Memorial Day celebration at 10:30 a.m. May 30; and wellness Wednesday breakfast at 9 a.m. May 31. The AAoA will sponsor a picnic May 30, call for details. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Call (724) 794-6440.
• Southeast Senior Center, Winfield Township Firehall, Brose Rd., offers the following upcoming events: Senior Saints exercise at 10 a.m. May 4 and 9; birthday celebration and National Hostess Cupcake Day May 11; leadership meeting at 10 a.m. May 18; National Taffy Day May 23; and chair volleyball at 10 a.m. and blood pressure at 11 a.m. May 25. The center is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call (724) 352-2036.
• West Sunbury Senior Center, West Sunbury Presbyterian Church, hours are from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday. Lunches are provided. Call (724) 637-2959.